EURO-MED PEACE TRAINERS
Introduction & Context
The main aim of the ToT is to provide (potential) trainers with training and facilitation
skills , with a specific focus on conflict transformation , intercultural dialogue and
ensuring the quality of the learning process of an educational activity.
While our core human values are put under strain in the EuroMed region with increased
violent extremism, tensions between ethnic and religious communities, growing numbers of refugees and an increased us vs them mentality, this training will empower youth in the region to engage in intercultural conflict transformation in order to prevent violence and build peace from the ground up.
This Training of Trainers will build the capacity of young people to engage in intercultural dialogue and nonviolent conflict transformation and empower them to put their experience into practice by implementing quality local activities.
The ToT seeks to build competences (knowledge, skills, attitude) of learners related to three very specific themes:
Conflict and change are a part of human life, and are continuously present in human relationships. Examples of interpersonal, inter-group and organisational conflicts will be used to give participants a deeper understanding of how their day to day interaction with others are entry points for constructive change, at the social, political or cultural level.
2. Intercultural Dialogue
During the course participants will deepen their understanding and use of the concept of intercultural dialogue as an effective tool for conflict transformation. During the course the concept will be unpacked, the challenges and opportunities of cultural diversity will be addressed and more importantly participants will learn how to include intercultural dialogue in educational activities.
3 . Quality Learning Process
This ToT is designed to empower participants, not just in designing and conducting trainings, but in being able to look at different dynamics that support a quality learning process. Mechanisms include understanding different learning styles; understanding different methodologies and how they are linked to address specific objectives of a session; coherence between program flow, objectives and methods used; and a focus on debriefing process. During the ToT, time will be dedicated to practice sessions of the trainers.
Profile of Participants for this ToT
This ToT will give strong emphasis on training and facilitation skills , as well as conflict transformation and intercultural dialogue and therefore require participants with very specific profiles to ensure that the training can smoothly flow with the highest standard. Specific profiles for this ToT include the following:
● young people between 18-30 years old
● youth with trainer/facilitator/educator profiles have conducted trainings themselves, or sessions or workshops either through formal or non-formal education.
● youth with basic to advance background in peacebuilding, peace education and conflict work (either through studies, trainings or other relevant experience)
● youth who are engaged in a local project within one of the following organisations: Etijah, FCV, PATRIR, AEI-Open Windows, Kasbah Neuf, Seiklejate Vennaskond, Nexes, Calam, PeaceWorks, Yala, Y-Peer, and have the means and possibilities to conduct further trainings within their organisations.
● youth who reside in one of the following countries: Algeria, Egypt, Estonia, Palestine, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Tunisia, The Netherlands or Jordan.
● youth who have initial experience or proven interest in designing and facilitating non-formal education trainings in the field of peacebuilding and conflict transformation
● youth with good level of working English
● youth who are able to participate in ALL the 5 activities of the ToT (from January 15- July 12 2017)
ToT Development Scheme – project activities
Activity 1- Online Pre-Training (January 15 – February 25 2017)
● the online phase will consist of 6 full weeks of online modules and group work. It will prepare the participants for the face-to-face training, especially in the knowledge and theory-based aspects of the topic. The online phase will also serve as a platform for participants to familiarize themselves with each other, and team up in small groups and work together.
Activity 2 – Residential Training (February 26- March 5 2017 )
● the face-to-face training is a skills-based training that will include practical, inspiring and creative methods based on arts, communication, dialogue and hands-on practice. It will run for 6 days, and is divided into three parts:
1) knowledge-review, including workshops,
2) training and facilitation skills, and
3) practice by the participants themselves.
Activity 3- Local activities developed and implemented in local organizations.
(March 6- July 7 2017)
● Participants will based on a needs analysis develop a small -scale local activity aiming to empower young people active in their organization to take action for intercultural conflict transformation. The participants will be coached by the team of trainers throughout the development process through regular online meetings. They will have to opportunity to put their learnings from the online and residential trainings into practice by organising their own educational activity. Activities can be trainings, workshops, arts performances. Preferably, the activity will be integrated into a program already run by the local organization.
Activity 4- Online webinar and sharing of experiences (12 July 2017)
● The webinar closes the ToT program by sharing experiencing and reflecting on the entire ToT process, especially the implementation of the local activity and the online campaign #Youth4Peace, all the participants and trainers will participate in the webinar.
Activity 5- Online campaign on #youth4peace ( January 15- July 12 2017))
● Throughout Activity 1-4, the participants of the ToT will share their work and experience by creating content for the already established #youth4peace campaign on various social media channels,including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube. Especially showcasing the local work.
The ToT will use experiential learning methods to facilitate learning that is focused on communication, inter and intra-personal skills. In this ToT, key skills and competences of a facilitator and trainer will be presented and put into practice. It will include an overview of communication and conflict theories and tools, constructive responses to conflict, principles and practice of non-formal learning methodologies, including training concepts related to comfort zones and conflict sensitivity.
During the ToT, participants will get hands-on experience in conducting a training session in groups of 2-4. This practice session will include a video analysis followed by well structured self-reflection, debriefing and feedback sessions from the trainers and other participants. A co-learning environment will be ensured during the whole process.
All costs during the course of the training will be covered by the organisers, as well as the travel costs. A participation fee of €50 for all participants will be deducted from the final amount for reimbursement. The participants should be present for the entire training course. Participants attending less than 80% of the sessions will not be reimbursed.
The following expenses will be covered by the organizers:
● Meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and accommodation for the duration of the activity
● Other ToT related costs (training material, travel costs during the workshop, local transportation)
● Only the least expensive mean of transportation will be reimbursed (economy class, no taxi). Participants can only book tickets after they have received a confirmation from UNOY Peacebuilders.
For more information, contact: OR Contact:
Imre Veeneman Najat el Hani – Kasbah Neuf
Program Coordinator Partner Organization
This training course is supported by a grant from the Anna Lindh Foundation.